Episode 9: How to put things together for yourself
Dr Gary Bennett is the Bishop-MacDermott Family Professor of Psychology & Neuroscience, Global Health and Medicine at Duke University.
He directs the Duke Global Digital Health Science Center and the Duke Obesity Prevention Programme and is the Immediate Past-President of the Society of Behavioral Medicine. He has authored more than 125 scientific papers and his research program has been continuously supported by the National Institutes of Health.
In other words he is a world leading expert on health behaviour change and obesity.
In this honest yet hugely informative episode Dr. Bennett details the latest findings from the field of weight management, what it takes to create lasting lifestyle changes and the strategies he uses to stay on track and maintain his weight.
In this episode you will learn:
· Why losing weight isn’t about motivation alone
· The 3 key pillars of weight loss that will help you get started and keep you on track long term
· The No 1 habit that helps him maintain his weight and stay on track
· The importance of failing fast and avoiding perfection in habit change
· How to put things together yourself
Key questions to ask yourself
· What self monitoring have you tried in the past, what works what doesn’t – if there was one thing you could monitor each day – what could that be?
· What skills could you develop for long term weight loss success? What scenarios do you feel particularly vulnerable in? restaurants, with friends etc. ? Can you plan/build skills to deal with these scenarios more effectively?
· What support can you harness, be it an expert or a friend to help keep you on track with your goals?
· How can you find some form of activity that at best you can enjoy or at worst you can tolerate, and incorporate that into your life?
It was such an honour to talk to the esteemed Dr. Bennett about his views on weight management. I hugely enjoyed his educational yet accessible insights. He has an amazing ability to break down what is a vast and complex field into actionable guidance that you can immediately apply to your own health related goals.
I know you will get a huge amount from this valuable episode.
If you would like to be involved in Dr. Bennett's international study you can learn more about it at chargestudy.com
The key websites mentioned were:
You can follow Dr. Bennett’s work and get in touch at:
Book my free implementation clinic
Looking to learn more about how to improve engagement and outcomes in your digital app or product?
Once a month I offer a small number of free 30-min implementation clinics to help selected organizations by providing behavioural insights/tackling engagement issues with their products/services. Places for these clinics are strictly limited if you want a slot you can apply here