Episode 5: What do you stand for?
What do you stand for?
Stuart Biddle is a Professor of Physical Activity & Health at University of Southern Queensland, near Brisbane, Australia. He started out in physical education before moving into the psychology of physical activity as an academic. He was Head of Sport & Exercise Sciences at Loughborough University, UK, 2001-2007.
This was where met Stuart and was very fortunate to have him as an academic supervisor where we co authored a paper on physical activity, sedentary behaviour (reducing too much sitting time) and psychological correlates in adolescents. Stuart has dedicated much of his career to date examining the field of physical activity and sedentary behaviour from a behaviour change perspective.
In this episode you will learn:
· The importance of reducing your sedentary behaviour and some of the latest findings from the field
· The best ways to start reducing your sitting time
· How sedentary behaviour not only affects your physical health, but the impact it can have on your mental health too
Key questions to ask yourself:
· How can you monitor your sitting behaviours?
· How can you use your environment to support you in reducing the amount of time you spend being sedentary?
· How can you focus on the opportunities rather than the barriers, to increase your activity and reduce your sitting time?
Stuart truly is a pioneer in this field and I am deeply honoured to have him on the podcast. I know you will find his insights hugely fascinating and applicable to your daily life.
The best way to get in touch with Stuart is on twitter, he can be found at:
Get Britain standing http://www.getbritainstanding.org/
British Heart Foundation (BHF) https://www.bhf.org.uk/
The centre for behaviour change and the behaviour change wheel http://www.ucl.ac.uk/behaviour-change
BJ Fogg’s behavioural model https://www.bjfogg.com/
Book my free implementation clinic
Looking to learn more about how to improve engagement and outcomes in your digital app or product?
Once a month I offer a small number of free 30-min implementation clinics to help selected organizations by providing behavioural insights/tackling engagement issues with their products/services. Places for these clinics are strictly limited if you want a slot you can apply here